Democratic AGs Vow to Protect Reproductive Rights as Supreme Court Hears Pivotal Abortion Case
December 1, 2021
As SCOTUS hears arguments in Mississippi abortion case, Democratic AGs fight to protect abortion access on the state and federal level
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, the most conservative Supreme Court in decades heard arguments in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, a case which is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade. Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) Co-chairs Nevada AG Aaron Ford and Delaware AG Kathy Jennings condemn out-of-touch attempts to impose unnecessary restrictions on abortion and pledge to protect reproductive rights across the country.
Statement from Nevada AG Aaron Ford and Delaware AG Kathy Jennings, Co-Chairs of the Democratic Attorneys General Association:
“As Democratic Attorneys General, we are calling on the Supreme Court to uphold nearly 50 years of precedent and ensure the constitutional protections that have been guaranteed for decades do not come undone. This is a pivotal moment for the Supreme Court to respect and uphold precedent and the rule of law without regard to politics or ideology.”
“We are at a critical moment in the fight to protect reproductive rights for all Americans. Anti-abortion groups, including many Republican AGs, have been relentlessly attempting to restrict abortion access for decades, including passing trigger laws and state-level bans. These draconian policies will immediately take effect if the Supreme Court reverses its long standing precedent and eliminates the constitutional right to access an abortion.
“We will not allow Republican AGs to continue these attacks. Democratic Attorneys General have been using every legal tool to ensure all Americans, no matter where they live, can exercise their constitutional right to reproductive freedom. Now, more than ever, it is crucial to elect leaders up and down the ballot, including Democratic Attorneys General, who will fight to protect abortion access across the country.”
- 18 Republican AGs filed an Amicus Brief in support of Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban.
- In 2019, the Democratic Attorneys General Association became the first — and remains the only — Democratic Party committee committed to only supporting AG candidates who publicly support protecting reproductive rights, including access to abortion. Read more here.
- Democratic AGs have a long track record of speaking up and fighting back against attacks on people’s reproductive rights:
- Democratic AGs decried SCOTUS’ decision not to review the case initially, ultimately resulting in SCOTUS reviewing the case later on. Democratic AGs filed an amicus brief challenging Texas’ egregious 6-week abortion ban.
- As access to reproductive care came under attack during the COVID-19 crisis, Democratic AGs recommitted their support to protecting reproductive rights.
- Democratic AGs were involved in protecting June Medical Services, an abortion clinic that came under attack in Louisiana.
- Democratic AGs spoke up around the “6-week abortion ban” in Georgia in 2019.