ICYMI: Law Enforcement Across Tar Heel State Endorse North Carolina AG Josh Stein
October 9, 2020
A bipartisan group of 40 Sheriffs and District Attorneys announced their support of North Carolina AG Josh Stein. Most notable, the sheriff from the Republican AG nominee Jim O’Neill’s home county, Forsyth County, where he currently serves as District Attorney and a colleague of O’Neill’s, District Attorney Locke Bell (R) are backing AG Stein. Bell said, “I’ve worked with both candidates for Attorney General, and I can tell you that Josh Stein is the clear choice.”
Several law enforcement officers are featured in a new television ad released this week supporting AG Stein. Here’s what they said about why North Carolina needs to re-elect AG Stein:
- Edgecombe County Sheriff Clee Atkinson: “North Carolina families are safer because of Attorney General Josh Stein.”
- Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood: “As Attorney General, Stein is leading the effort to test rape kits and put rapists behind bars. That’s why law enforcement across North Carolina support Attorney General Josh Stein.”
Watch the new ad here.
It’s no surprise law enforcement across the state – Republicans and Democrats – are lining up in support of North Carolina AG Josh Stein as voting is already underway in the Tar Heel state. AG Stein has a long history of fighting to protect North Carolina families, women, and children during his first term as Attorney General.
- North Carolina AG Josh Stein championed a bipartisan effort by working closely with Republicans to pass the Survivor Act and secure $6 Million to clear the state’s historic sexual assault kit backlog. He also worked to secure an additional $2 Million in grant funding for North Carolina to speed up the testing.
- North Carolina AG Josh Stein is working hand-in-hand with law enforcement officers and community leaders to reform North Carolina’s criminal justice system as a Co-Chair of North Carolina’s Task Force on Racial Equity in Criminal Justice.
- North Carolina AG Josh Stein wrote the SAFE Child Act, which was unanimously passed by the General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Cooper. The bill reforms how abuse is reported and prosecuted, better protects children from sexual predators while online, and allows adults who were abused as children to seek justice.
The alternative choice, Jim O’Neill, refuses to share his positions on key issues, continues to sing Trump’s praises even as he violates the law, and has a shameful track record of failing to prosecute dangerous criminals. Read more about the key differences in the race here.
Watch this new ad highlighting Jim O’Neill’s dangerous record below.