IN AG RACE UPDATE: Republican Nominee Todd Rokita Continues Lying in Latest Ad About Health Care
October 23, 2020
Throughout the cycle, former Congressman and Republican AG nominee Todd Rokita has repeatedly lied about his position on health care.
His latest ad includes a voiceover calling Todd Rokita a “leader protecting health care for pre-existing conditions.” That is blatantly false.
- Prior to running for Attorney General, when he served in the U.S. House of Representatives, Todd Rokita voted more than 50 times to dismantle the Affordable Care Act – including protections for more than 2.7 Million Hoosiers with pre-existing conditions.
- On the campaign trail, Todd Rokita reaffirmed his dangerous support of repealing the Affordable Care Act. If Rokita is successful in repealing the ACA, nearly 500,000 Hoosiers would immediately have their health care taken away and more than 2.7 million Hoosiers with pre-existing conditions would be at risk of losing coverage. And finally, Hoosiers who survive COVID-19 could be classified as having a pre-existing condition — meaning after surviving a pandemic-inducing virus they would face increased health care costs.
“Todd Rokita is hellbent on misleading Hoosiers about his dangerous and reckless anti-health care agenda,” said DAGA Deputy Political Director Amanda Trump. “Rokita’s reckless record is long and well-established, spending years trying to take health care away from Hoosiers and eliminate lifesaving protections for people with pre-existing conditions. There’s no doubt he will continue siding with special interests over Hoosier families if elected Attorney General – just as he did in Congress. It is why Republicans rejected him just two years ago for Senate. And it’s why Hoosiers will reject him again in less than two weeks.”
- Rokita’s continued effort to mislead Hoosier voters comes on the heels of doctors from across Indiana speaking out against Todd Rokita’s dangerous efforts to take health care away from millions of Hoosiers.
- Rokita knows his anti-health care stance is unpopular, which is why he’s lying to Hoosiers in a desperate attempt at winning Indiana’s competitive Attorney General seat – rated a Toss Up by Cook Political Report. Read more about how health care is a winning message for Democrats here.
- A DAGA-backed group is running ads across the state to inform Hoosiers of Rokita’s reckless health care record.
- Read more about how out of line Rokita is on health care, even within his own party, here.