ICYMI: REPUBLICAN AG MAY BE SUBJECT OF MULTIPLE INVESTIGATIONS
April 19, 2021
REPORTING by the Alabama Political Reporter Highlights Possible Investigations Underway Regarding RAGA & Republican AGs Roles in the January 6th Rally Turned Deadly Insurrection
In case you missed it, the Alabama Political Reporter revealed that multiple investigations may be underway regarding the deep ties Republican Attorneys General and the Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA) to the January 6th rally turned deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.:
- The Alabama Bar Association … “cited Rule 30 of the Alabama Rules of Disciplinary Procedure, which states that all proceedings by the Alabama State Bar are confidential until either someone pleads guilty, or are found guilty.” A spokesperson said, “So, we cannot confirm or deny the existence of an investigation.”
- The Alabama Ethics Commission said, “we are not allowed to comment on whether any matter is pending in our office.”
The reporting came on the three-month mark of Alabama’s Republican AG Steve Marshall, RAGA’s Policy Chair – and head of the Rule of Law Defense Fund (RLDF) – saying he would initiate an internal investigation of the organization’s role in the January 6th rally turned deadly insurrection. As a reminder, the RLDF sponsored the January 6th “Stop the Steal” rally that preceded the deadly insurrection and promoted the rally via robocall which said, “At 1 p.m., we will march to the Capitol building…” Additionally, indicted Texas AG Ken Paxton, a former Chair of RAGA, traveled to Washington D.C. to speak at the “Stop the Steal” rally.
Neither AG Marshall nor the Republican Attorneys General Association responded to questions by the Alabama Political Reporter when asked about the internal investigation AG Marshall is said to have initiated.
While Republican AGs and RAGA continue to deny reality – and hope their involvement fades into the background – their deep ties to the January 6th rally turned deadly insurrection are clear:
- Republican AGs participated in a “War Games” summit ahead of the 2020 election and left a trail of breadcrumbs to the January 6th deadly insurrection.
- Indicted Texas AG Ken Paxton traveled to DC to speak at the “Stop the Steal” rally, telling attendees, “we will not quit fighting.”
- Republican AGs took multiple actions attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 election, furthering the “Big Lie” the Trump campaign and Republican politicians were attempting to spread.
This new reporting by the Alabama Political Reporter continues to weaken Republican AGs’ defense that they did not know what RLDF or RAGA was up to leading up to January 6th.
The public deserves real answers.
With more than 30 state AG races on the ballot in 2022, including Alabama, voters will hold these elected state Attorneys General accountable for their role in attacking our democracy and democratic institutions. It’s time for Republican AGs and RAGA to tell the truth to their constituents.
For more on RAGA and Republican AGs involvement in the January 6th rally turned deadly insurrection and their repeated attacks on democracy, check out this comprehensive timeline here.