SOTU Preview: Dem AGs are the Defenders of the Union
February 4, 2020
Dem AGs Defending the Country from Trump’s Harmful Policies Since Day One; More than 90 Lawsuits Filed Protecting Our Democracy
Tonight, President Trump will do his best to spin the past three years as a resounding success. What we won’t hear is the truth: President Trump, his administration, and the dangerous policies it supports have spent the last three years losing in court. Trump and his administration continue to undermine the rule of law, put into question our nation’s values, and pit every American against each other as his wealthy and connected donors continue to rig the system.
From day one, Democratic AGs have stepped up to defend our democracy from Trump and his administration’s dangerous policies. From challenging Trump’s first unconstitutional and discriminatory Muslim Ban to standing up for the Equal Rights Amendment just last week, Democratic AGs continue to be the most effective elected officials in the country right now. Together, there have been more than 90 lawsuits filed against the Trump administration. Here is a snapshot of their success thus far:
- BLOCKED Trump’s discriminatory “Citizenship Question” from appearing on the 2020 Census.
- BLOCKED Trump’s attempt to rollback coverage for cost-free birth control.
- DEFENDING the Affordable Care Act and health care for millions of Americans from Trump and GOP attacks.
- DEFENDING the DACA Program and DREAMers from Trump, resulting in more than half a million DACA recipients renewing their status.
- COMBATTING corruption by challenging Trump for violating the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
Democratic AGs See 80% Win Rate Against the Trump Administration in Court
In addition to the progress in court noted above, Democratic AGs have taken more then 300 actions to protect our planet, filed lawsuits to block the release of 3-D gun blueprints on the Internet, protected worker’s wages, and served as a champion for immigrants, women, students, teachers, organized labor, the LGBTQ community, and people with disabilities.
Democratic AGs are winning in the court room and at the ballot box.
- In 2016, DAGA moved from a part-time committee based in Denver, CO to a full-time organization based in Washington, DC. In the past four cycles, DAGA won seven battleground states.
- In 2018, DAGA went undefeated and flipped four battleground seats blue (CO, MI, NV, WI) electing the most diverse coalition of state Attorneys General in history.
- In 2020, DAGA will defend incumbents in battleground states like NC and PA who both saw Democratic victories in 2016. In Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro outperformed every candidate on the ballot, including Trump, and in North Carolina Josh Stein outperformed now Governor Roy Cooper.
And this November, there are 12 AG seats on the map with key opportunities to flip states back to blue and re-take the majority of AG seats nationwide.
For more on how Democratic AGs are holding the Trump administration accountable, check out the 2017, 2018, and 2019 year-in-review memos.